Tuesday, March 10, 2015

another miracle

2 injured after concrete stair collapse at Arlington home - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Incredible! Clearly, the ground didn't "drop out from underneath" this front stoop. Clearly, it's not supported by the ground. Not unlike any above-grade structure, e.g., any floor in a multistory building other than the lowest floor, if it's supported on the ground, a bridge, etc., this stoop spans the walls below it at the stoop's perimeter. From the looks of it, the (probably unreinforced) stoop sheared off at the inside of the perimeter walls. Amazing!

The 900 block of N. Madison St. is about halfway between 1008 N. Madison St. where my wife grew up (and 5936 N. 10th St. where I grew up prior to the 8th grade) and 940 N. Quantico St. (where I grew up after the 8th grade). These houses are as old as I am! I sympathize with anyone who lives in one of them now.




No comments:

Post a Comment