Monday, October 23, 2017

correction, John McCain: not all draftees were poor

"Sen. John McCain appeared to take a swipe at President Trump in an interview that aired Sunday when he called out the “highest income” Americans at the time who found a doctor to say they had a “bone spur” so they could avoid the Vietnam draft.

McCain was interviewed on C-CPAN3, American TV and talked about the war. The interview was wide ranging, but he mentioned the draft.


“We drafted the lowest income level of America and the highest income level found a doctor that would say that they had a bone spur,” McCain said “That is wrong. That is wrong. If we are going to ask every American to serve, every American should serve.”

The New York Times reported last year that Trump received a total of five military deferments during the war. Four were for education and one—in 1968—was the bone spurs in his heels. During that time, the U.S. inducted about 300,000 men into the military.

I was one of those Americans drafted in 1968. I graduated from college in May 1968. Our daughter, Michelle, was born in October 1968. I received my draft notice shortly after that. In January 1969 I reported to Ft. Benning GA for basic training. After basic training I was assigned as an assistant instructor in the Management Committee, Leadership Department, Infantry Officers Advanced Course, US Army Infantry School, Ft. Benning GA. I was honorably discharged from Ft. Benning in January 1971.

I was not poor. My four sisters and one brother and I grew up in nice homes in Arlington VA. We went to private grade school (St. Ann's) and most of us went to private high school (I went to D J O'Connell). I went to a private college (Villanova University).

In my case, my draft board (Arlington VA) drafted a college graduate with a wife and a child. I was not the exception.

No, Senator McCain, not just the "lowest level income of America" were drafted.

Yes, Senator McCain, trump is a draft dodger.



Jenny, Michelle and me, Columbus GA, 1969-1970

receiving my soldier of the year award from the 
assistant commandant, US Army Infantry School, 
Ft. Benning, GA, 1970




No comments:

Post a Comment