Sunday, October 23, 2016

authority

The gospel reading for Sunday October 23, 2016 is from Luke, chapter 18, verses 9 to 14:

USCCB » Bible » Daily Readings

October 23, 2016

Gospel
LK 18:9-14
Jesus addressed this parable
to those who were convinced of their own righteousness
and despised everyone else.
“Two people went up to the temple area to pray;
one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector.
The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself,
‘O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity --
greedy, dishonest, adulterous -- or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.’
But the tax collector stood off at a distance
and would not even raise his eyes to heaven
but beat his breast and prayed,
‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’
I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former;
for whoever exalts himself will be humbled,
and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102316.cfm

Flying back to Rome from Azerbaijan Oct. 2, Pope Francis was asked by a reporter what U.S. Catholics should do in a presidential election where both candidates hold some positions contrary to church teaching. http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2016/when-political-choice-is-tough-pray-and-vote-your-conscience-pope-says.cfm In short, what Pope Francis said was "When political choice is tough, pray and vote your conscience".

My question: Is it right for a priest, after reading the gospel for Sunday, October 23, 2016, and presumably knowing what Pope Francis said about U.S. Catholics voting in a presidential election, to strongly suggest in his homily that we should vote for the other guy because of Hillary Clinton's view on abortion?

My answer: I think not. My answer isn't because of my personal view on abortion. My own personal conscience tells me that abortion is murder--whether it's in the first week or the last week of pregnancy. My answer has to do with a priest strongly suggesting that we should vote for the other guy, and my personal belief that I, a priest, or anyone else for that matter, shouldn't try to impose our personal beliefs on others publicly in a matter of conscience. These matters of conscience are between God and each individual only.

"I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former..."

The Pharisee prayed as a "moral authority"; he condemned the tax collector and exalted himself

How did the tax collector know that he was a sinner? Because someone told him that he was a sinner? If someone had told the Pharisee that he was a sinner, would the Pharisee have believed him? 

I believe that the tax collector knew that he was a sinner because his conscience told him so.

God is the only true "moral authority". I personally believe that God tells us, through our prayers, via our conscience, what is right and what is wrong. I also believe that it isn't up to me, or anyone else for that matter, to tell others what they should or shouldn't do in a matter of conscience. This is for God alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment